Re: ?Info on TBA models esp. new 701?

> As a purchase is pending, I have heard from an IBM conference rep that
> a new 701 model is due hence the push for sales.  (And there is a
> warehouse full of them.)

	If they have a warehouse full of them, then why am I having to
wait over 2 weeks before mine even ships?

	I think the push for sales is an accounting thing.  Namely, they
are going to end the series and replace it with a new model.  Hence, even
if they don't have a ton of them in a warehouse, they need to sell at
least a certain number of them to cover their fixed costs of designing
& manufacturing these things.  Anyway, my guess is that they want to
squeeze every last penny out of these things before they are discontinued
and the decision was made to lower the price significantly & do these
promotions.  Margins are of course slimmer, but the fact of the matter is
they'll sell a *lot* more machines than they would have otherwise (I'm
proof of that--I would *never* have bought the 701 I have coming except
for the good deal).

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Hope Page:     |
USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|          http://         |
 "Did you really think you could call up the   | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/|
     Devil and ask him to behave?"             ----------------------------
       -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner