self-introduction

Hi. Just joined the list, so thought I'd actually send a self-into like the
welcome note asks.

I have a 755CX with 24meg, and the other standard stuff (810m disk,
800x600, pentium). I run Linux (UNIXish OS), and also run the Japanese
versions of IBM DOS 7.0 and Windows. I use a Panasonic "PD" for backup
storage.

Things I can be helpful with:
   Running Linux.
   Japanese stuff (if anyone cares)

Things I'd like to ask about:
   It seems to change with the phase of the moon, but the thing gets
   into modes where the modem and other mwave stuff won't work after
   a suspend. It's currently in that mode )-:

Things I'd like to get off my chest:

   Did they have a monkey design this thing? If not I'd like
   to know:

     * Why the earphone/mic/phone cover opens *up* so that it remains
       maximally in the way, and you can't see where you're plugging?

     * Why the phone plug has the release tab facing *up*, against the
       in-the-way door, so that one need's Olga Korbit's joints to unplug
       the phone?

     * Why the PC-card slot cover is designed to *require* a tool to remove?
       (I used some tape to make a little pull-tab)

     * Why the design encourages the power switch to be hit while the
       cover is closed?

     * Why there is no LCD "contrast" (or whatever) slider?

     * Why the keyboard "lock" is designed so that, say, someone checking
       out their new ThinkPad that doesn't know it's locked is still able
       to open it by using a bit of ummph.

     * Why the lid is designed to offer so little protection to the LCD
       when it's closed? (and why it costs $2,500 to replace the LCD when
       it breaks)-:

Phew! I feel better. Having said all that, I love it.

	Jeffrey
Jeffrey Friedl <jfriedl@omron.co.jp> Omron Corp, Nagaokakyo, Kyoto 617 Japan
See my Jap<->Eng dictionary at http://www.wg.omron.co.jp/cgi-bin/j-e
                           and http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e