Re: HD compressor

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, William Ng wrote:

> Are anyone using any disk compression utility on OS2 (like Stacker)? I have
> a TP755CX with Warp and DOS installed (dual boot). There is a Stacker
> compression utility that come with PCDOS 7.0. I am wondering if I could use
> it and OS2 with still works file?

If you're trying to compress an OS/2-only partition, I'd recommend
Zipstream over Stacker.  In fact, if the partition is HPFS, Stacker
won't work - you'll need Zipstream or DCF/2(?).  I highly recommend
Zipstream, which is available at most OS/2 ftp sites (shareware).

If you're trying to compress a drive you'll be using under both DOS
and OS/2, then I think Stacker is your only choice.  Zipstream is
much better (faster, more flexible).

Does anyone know of a binary-compressing utility for Linux, kinda
like gzip, zless, and zgrep works with text files?
John H. Kim        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design
jokim@mit.edu       something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  ingenuity of complete fools." -- Douglas Adams