RE: Dock 2 description ?

>I'd be interested in hearing a description of the Dock II.

Dock II is OK - good for a normal CD-ROM (I have a Toshiba
4X SCSI one) in the large bay (5 1/4" half-height).  The
Dock II also has a 1" high 5 1/4" bay (I intend to put a
1" 3.5" SCSI hard drive in that one using an adapter).  The
Dock II has an Adaptech SCSI controller (int 9-12 only), 2
PCMCIA slots (they can be used without an interrupt for
insertion - at least under OS/2 Warp), 2 full length 16-bit
ISA slots (connectors on the right side at rear) and two
speakers.  Serial, parallel, SCSI (50 pin compact connector
like on a Sun), keyboard and mouse ports, external monitor,
external diskette, and pairs of RCA audio in and out.  I
have not used anything except SCSI, keyboard and mouse.

The mouse and keyboard on the TP can be used when a keyboard
and mouse are plugged in (at least that works with an IBM
keyboard I have).  I have a 3C509-combo card in the Dock and
use Connect.  There is a volume control on the front of the
dock to control the volume of the dock speakers.  There is
also a key lock on the left side along with the release lever
which pushed the TP out of the Dock connector.  I think that
there is also an IDE controller in it  so you can install
IDE drives or even a TP drive ("To attach ThinkPad hard disk
drive, do the following ...").  I have NOT done anything with
the IDE stuff.  It also has a front panel power switch which
turns on the TP when in the dock (you can also use the TP
switch).  There is also a LCD panel with indicators for things
like the disk drive ...

It is big (15.7" deep, 4.8" high at the back, and 15" wide)
and it weighs about 17 lb.  You would NOT want to type much
on the TP keyboard when in the Dock - you want to get an
external keyboard.  My Dock seems to hum intermittently - I
have not tried to figure out why yet.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Stuart F. Biggar                    Phone:  (520) 621-8168
Remote Sensing Group                FAX:    (520) 621-8292
Optical Sciences Center
University of Arizona
1600 N. Country Club Rd, Ste 100
Tucson, AZ 85716-3160               Internet:  Stuart.Biggar@opt-sci.arizona.edu