Re: New 755cx Reboots Spontaneously

>We just took delivery of a 755cx (24 MB, 3rd party; 810 HD).  Right
>out of the box, OS2 would not boot; just a looping boot attempt.  We
>booted from a floppy and found the os2 program on the HD to set the
>boot option to DOS, which is what we wanted anyway.
>
>DOS boots fine.  Windows starts and runs but will spontaneously
>reboot.  I detect no pattern in this behaviour.
>
>Next, I plan to run HW diagnostics and then reinstall Windows.
>
>Any suggestions are most welcome.  Please respond directly and I will
>summarize.

I experienced similar problems with one of my computers (not a notebook but
an IBM PS/2 Model 80) when I had mixed the memory types (parity versus
non-parity). To say the least, it caused me great pain until I finally
managed to diagnose it since I lost quite a bit of work (corrupted files, etc.).

The symptons were very much as you described, continual rebooting and the like.
The reason why the memory wasn't diagnosed with an error with one of my
memory testing programs is that the system continually powers up the memory
chips and doesn't have to "refresh" the memory during wait states.

I know this isn't directly related but I thought it might help.  I have a
755CX with a 16MB IC DRAM card from Kingston and I've had no problems what
so ever.

Good Luck!

        Patrick Hong Systems Management & Consulting Inc.

        phong@phsmc.synapse.net            (613) 769-1544