Re: Denver, Co Computer City TP755C

Lew Jansen wrote:

>> A 755C on clearance for $3200 is not very interesting.
>> Barnett Computers in NYC was selling new 755CE 8/540's
>> on clearance for $2999.  I don't know if they have any left though.

>  I'm not sure I'd trust Barnett's though; when I spoke with them once while
>inquiring about a machine they were very condescending to the point of being

They treated me like I was a childish little boy that did not know much about
computers.  I am thouroughly convinced that I know loads more then he does
and I wont waste our time going into any details.

>rude.  I've exchanged email with a fellow who ordered a machine from them that
>was supposed to have a 2400bps PCMCIA modem thrown in; he never got it, and

Are you talking about me?  I ordered a TP 360CSE from them and they were to
throw in a PCMCIA modem.  I figured it would be at least a 9600bps, so I did
not get the exact specs.  He did not send a modem.  So I gave him a call and
some how convinced him that it was in his best interast to him to send me the
modem.  I still at this time thought I would get a decent modem, turned out
that he sent a 2400bps.  I never called him back and complained, it was my
fault for being ignorant.
However, he is not someone to deal with in my opinion.  He told me in the
beginning that I could have the machine for $2400.  I agreed.  He said that
I could pay cod.  He wanted my credit card number to verify something he said.
I said no problem and gave it to him.  He attempted to charge it to my credit
card that day, twice he keyed in the numbers.  He tried to key in OVER $2500 as
well.  I know this because the fraud division of the bank where my credit card
was issued called and told me that I should not try to charge over my credit
limit.  I explained to them and they understood.
So the next day he called me and told me nothing about the credit card but
what he called about was that he would not ship the order until i faxed him
a copy of a money order made out to him in the ammount of exactly $2500.  He
said the extra $100 was for shipping and handling.  He was nuts.  I was nuts
too and agreed to pay $2450.  So I got the money order and faxed him a copy
to show he would get his money and he finally sent it.  Then I had the modem
trouble I mentioned.

>they've effectively told him to f*ck off.  I've seen more than one report of
>bait-and-switch tactics used by Barnett's, including someone who saw a
>newspaper ad that was a great deal, went there that day and they were "out"
>and not issuing rainchecks.  When he pressed the issue, they basically told
>him he'd have to be stupid to think he was going to get that machine for that
>price.

>  Whether these reports are true or not, I can't say.  Try posting to the
>newsgroup comp.sys.laptops and ask for people's impressions.  I'm sure you'll
>hear more negative comments than positive; there are better places to spend
>your money.

It is a good place to spend your money if you can force him to stick up to his
word.  The best thing to do is to tape your conversation with him.  Watch
out though, he will ruin you if he can.  It is possible that the only reason
that he finally ALMOST satisfied me was that the credit card bank could have
come down on him and he got scared.

--
Rodney Daryl Slone                  | "Grounds are pretty common." - me
Electrical Engineering Senior       | Nail here [] for a new monitor.