Re: Partition Problems w/ 810mb HD

>>> From: "Arturo J. Morales" <art@aaRS.mit.edu>
>>> Subject: Partition Problems w/ 810mb HD
>>>
>>> I recently acquired an 810mb HD (IBM Brand) and proceeded to reformat and
>>> partition it so that I could have a DOS/Windows/OS2 (FAT) partition and a Linux
>>> partition.  After formating the Drive, (using MS-DOS 6.22) I only saw 770
>>> megs...

Arturo,

    IBM's so-called "810mb" disk is, in fact, an 810-million-byte disk.
    And 810,000,000 bytes = 772 mega-bytes.  So maybe your re-partitioning
    worked correctly after all, and there's no "lost" space on your disk.

    It really stinks, the way some small-minded smart-ass marketing types
    at IBM and some other companies have decided to deceptively re-interpret
    "mb" to mean "million-byte" rather than "mega-byte", and introduce all
    this unnecessary confusion.

Joseph

Joseph Manning / Computer Science / Vassar College / manning@cs.vassar.edu