suspend/hibernate, Linux

I've recently noticed that the suspend and hibernate functions are
not working properly, with my Linux installation on the 755CX.
The symptom is that the machine comes back up, but with the
keyboard, mouse, and power switch nonresponsive.  I am forced to
use the emergency off button in the back, with consequent
corruption of my filesystem, so I'm reluctant to try many
experiments.  I'm hoping one of you reading this mailing list can
help me zero in on the problem from your experience.

It seems to me that when I first installed the APM bios, I tested
these features and they worked.  Since then, I've made a few
changes, but I can't figure out which of these is responsible,
since I did not notice the problem until just recently, when I
carried the machine along on an air trip and tried to use the
suspend feature during a landing.

The big change I made is that I updated the ROM bios to V1.30,
from the IBM archive.  Another change is that I am now have a
PCMCIA card installed, an ethernet adaptor.

I don't think this is a Linux-specific problem.  Under Windows
3.11, without or without the PCMCIA drivers loaded, I get almost
the same problem.  That is, the mouse locks up after suspend,
thought the power switch still works.

--Ted Baker