CD-ROM under Linux on ThinkPad755CD

Brad,
Your problems with the CD-ROM under Linux are very similar to mine (although
my CD-ROM is built in). On a good side, yesterday I made a SCSI Toshiba CD-ROM
work with a Bust Toaster PCMCIA card. It worked superbly. All I needed to do
is 'mount -t iso9600 /dev/scd0 /cdrom' and I was done.

The build in CD-ROM for 755CD is IDE ATAPI, and it was identified as such.
but the file ide-cd.c in the kernel drivers/block directory seems to have
bugs. Your Caldera drive is also ATAPI, so it points to the same source of
problems.

> A possibly related problem is that when I had the CDROM in my Thinkpad,
> my PCMCIA Ethernet card (GVC NE2000 compat) was going nuts and I geting
> errors.  When I switched the Ethernet card to the second PCMCIA socket,
> all was fine!  ...

This seems like a different problem, perhaps with the PCMCIA card.
I use a Kingston EtheRx card and it appears to work fine in both PCMCIA slots.
This one needs an entry in pcmcia/config which is a copy of the
IBM Credit Card adapter's entry.

Thank you.
-- Marek R. Rychlik