Re: help with Warp and TP750

Addressed to: ggomez@vms1.cc.uop.edu
              Thinkpad <tp750@cs.utk.edu>

** Reply to note from JOHNNY <ggomez@vms1.cc.uop.edu> 08/14/95 04:47am PST

> Hello everyone
>
> 	I am currently in the process of installing Warp on my TP for
> i think is the fourth time :) . I can't say the three previous attempts
> were failures, but after using Warp for awhile, things would wreak havoc
> and i would end up dumping it all for DOS/WIN setup. The basics worked
> fine but fine tuning Warp didn't go well. So anyways....

I think that for me it was over a dozen times before I was able to get the
red box working properly...

In all seriousness if you are using OS/2 Warp Connect the install on a 750C
goes without
ANY problems. If you are using the red box (Warp for Windows) then you need
to obtain fixpack
number 5 ASAP.

In addition if you are using a dock II (not sure about a dock I), the PCMCIA
drivers in the base
red box CD rom by default conflict with the dock's scsi controller. This is
resolved in the
fixpack but you may have trouble getting to the fixpack.

> I was wondering if there is a someone out there that has gotten Warp to
> run on their TP750.

I have had the red box, and now Connect, running for many months. The only
issue which
I still have with OS/2 on ANY portable is when you attempt to use different
screen
resolutions. When switching between the different resolutions the
desktop/folder layout
can get hosed up.

There is a NEW video driver kit (from the OS/2 people, not IBM mobiles) for
WARP. You must
install this kit to have any hope of getting crt/lcd to work. In addition, on
the 750 with this
kit THE MOUSE TRACKING SPEED IS MUCH GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE!

> As for some Specific:
>
> - is there any other device drivers, Fixpacks, patches, etc. that i need?

See above.

> - How well have you been able to get sound to work in Warp, WinOs2,
>   DOSinaBox, full screen DOS to work. ( i.e. games, MIDI, etc.)

You need the fixpack for red box to get the internal sound to function
properly.
I have a AWE-32 in the dock. Works great.

> - Associatings files... I can do it manually, but i would like Warp to
>   automatically associate files like Word docs, Excel xls, Jpegs, etc. so
>   when a save it to the desktop its assocaited to the correct program.
>   I noticed hat warp will do it for text files, wav, mid, and some others
>   but can't figure out how.

Check out the migrate command and it's database file. You may need to modify
the
database, or migrate the apps to os/2 if you have not done that already.

___
Scott A. Stratmoen
Northrop Grumman
strat@dsd.northrop.com