Re: Olga die die die

On Jul 24, 10:09pm, Eugene Fiume wrote:
> Subject: Re: Olga die die die
> I dunno.  It once again seems so easy to use the "d" key, but if you
> are really interested in tracing the culprit, a sysadmin at cs.utk.edu
> can go through the smtp log (assuming it's a unix box) and try to find
> the node from which this mail message was sent.  It's possible to forge
> this too, but it's a little less easy to do than to simply forge the
> "From" field (which is truly novice hacker stuff).

I don't know if I'd call this "less easy".  There are several widely
distributed c-shell scripts which will do this for you, like FakeMail and
BlackMail.

> The beauty of unix is its simplicity.  Using the simplest of tools,
> it's very easy to connect to a host and send a message under an assumed
> name.

This is why you won't be able to trace the message by going through
cs.utk.edu's sendmail logs.  Set your ThinkPad's hostname to some bogus name,
then

   telnet cs.utk.edu 25

(25 is the socket number for the sendmail daemon)

...and you can tell the utk senmail daemon you're anyone you want to be.

At this point, since they've posted to virtually every mailing list in the
universe, I'm sure there are a lot of people tracking this idiot down.

I would guess that the problem will solve itself.

Robert