WIN95 & Thinkpads (VERY Long!)

   Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:59:01 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Mike Schaeffer <mschaef@cs.utexas.edu>

   If IBM had really
   wanted to make a statement, they should have made it policy that if you
   buy an IBM x86 box, you get OS/2 period.   By not doing that, they really
   undermined the image of the system. A friend of mine bought a Thinkpad (A
   340 I think, but it's still a decent Thinkpad :) a while ago, and guess
   what was installed... MS Windows.

Much as I agree with your other statements, I don't think I can go
along with this one.  My impression is that ThinkPads are one of the
few products that are keeping IBM afloat (I don't think anyone would
argue that OS/2 is).  If I were an IBM exec, I wouldn't consider doing
anything that would threaten the ThinkPad income -- and I suspect that
refusing to offer Windows preloads would seriously impact their sales.

It really is a shame, though.  I use both OS/2 and Linux and like both
of them very much.  OS/2 has features -- its DOS/Windows emulation and
its GUI -- that will be painful to do without if OS/2 stops being a
viable operating system.