Win95 Woes...

Hi all,

	I currently own three Thinkpads - a 755CX, a 701C, and a 701CS
(I've been bitten by the bug!).  All have 16MB/810MB.  The 701CS has
vanilla DOS/Windows loaded, the 701C has OS/2 Warp Connect, and the 755CX
was recently loaded with Win95, build 490.  My question concerns the
755CX, but first let me say that Win95 seems to be the most "compatible"
operating system I've yet loaded on a ThinkPad.  All the MWave stuff
works flawlessly, as does the PCMCIA support, the Proxim RangeLAN2 RF
NIC, and the Panasonic KXL-D720 CD-ROM drive.  Also the 800x600 SVGA
driver works fine.  The only problem I have is that the operating system
'stalls' for anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds periodically, especially if
I'm typing into a VDM at the DOS prompt.  It happens at other times, but
much less frequently if I don't have an open DOS session.  I've tried
many things, including booting in 'safe' mode, removing all PCMCIA
devices, cleaning out config.sys/autoexec.bat/system.ini to the bare
minimum, trying disk-related changes suggested in the WRK (VirtualHDIRQ,
SystemROMBreakpoint, etc.).  This 'stalling' is always present.  The only
clue I have is in the control panel - all devices are listed as
functioning correctly *except* for the standard IDE/ESDI hard disk
controller.  Win95 reports it as 'not functioning correctly', which seems
odd since this driver is critical to the operation of the machine.  I
have verified that the resources used match those in the 755CX user
manual.  Anyone have a clue?  This stalling is annoying enough to make
the OS unusable, which is a shame since it works so well otherwise.  Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated!

						--Jim Lee