No Subject

To: Lang Zerner <lang@asylum.sf.ca.us>
From: John H. Kim <jokim@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: AC Adaptor

** Reply to note from Lang Zerner <lang@asylum.sf.ca.us> 07/07/95 12:01pm
-0400

> There is a small problem in the design of the AC adaptor.  The end that
>plugs into the ThinkPad is a rigid connector about 1.5in (3.75cm) long that
>sticks straight back from the ThinkPad.  When I was working with IBM to
>
> It's easy to forget that the plug is back there.  The first tilt back did
> the most damage to the connector, and I managed to do it once or twice
> more.  Although the connector is still electrically sound, another accident
> like that will probably crack the connecting plug in two, so I ordered the
> old 40W "travel adapter" as a replacement.

Hmm, mine broke a long time ago.  The plug and big box thingy are separate,
connected by a bit of (slightly flexible) rubber.  Mine broke at the rubber
joint between the two.  The big box is free and I can slide it along the cord
all I want, so it appears to serve no purpose.  I just opened it and it
contains two pieces of metal (not magnets) which encase the cable when
closed.  Does anyone know what it does?  Shielding?

John H. Kim         "A common mistake that people make when trying to design
jokim@mit.edu        something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
jokim@uni.uiuc.edu   ingenuity of complete fools." -- Douglas Adams