Re: TP755CE not in stock? - help locating suppliers ...

Hopefully to wrap things up (and to kill this thread in the unmodified
subject heading):

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Robert Dewar wrote:

> I certainly think the sales tax argument is therefore bogus

I disagree with your reasons for coming to this decision.  However,
in light of the recent discussion on sales taxes, I will change my
opinion for the reason that all things are supposed to be taxed,
and the price difference mail order enjoys depends on the purchaser
breaking the law.  In short, I was wrong, you were right, but I think
you were right for the wrong reason. :)  In light of the sales tax
information, the point I was making in the original discussion is
moot, overshadowed by a larger issue -- legality.

> Your complaint is really similar to complaining that the normal non-EDU
> prices are higher than mail-order prices, well of course they are. If you

Normal prices and mail-order prices have the same two goals:  to earn
the company money, and to offer the customer a fair market price.  Edu
prices have a different goal, to offer academia a below-market* price.
This difference in goals was the reason for my original disagreement
with you, and why my original complaint is not similar to what you are
describing above.  But like I said above, the point is moot.

* if there was no sales-tax.  Whether or not the company wants to make
  money is entirely up to it.
--
John H. Kim
jokim@mit.edu