help neeed with 755 and 14.4 modem DSP

HI All!
	I have a 755 with a 14.4 modem coming off of the DSP chip. Needless
	to say documentation is sparse! I currently use a ThinkPad 360 with
	a PCMCIA 14.4 modem. When I dial into work ( a DECSERVER, or a SLIP/
	CENTRUM box). the PCMCIA modem says 'connect 38400'. I do a lot
	of terminal emulation, works great, exceedingly fast and fluid.

	When I connect using my new 755 and the DSP modem, it says
        'connect 14400/ECLC' and performance is like a teletypewriter.

	Does anybody know modems well enough to tell me the AT commands to get
	this DSP modem to run at a higher speed? I know the the physical
	speed is 14.4 regardless, but I need a higher speed after compression.
	My initialization string for both modems is ATZ, and bear in mind
	I do 99% terminal emulation and lag time is my biggest enemy!

	Thanks ! Simon

/// Simon Maufe                          ||| MAUFE@TWEETY.DIGSYS.COM          //
/// Daugherty Systems                    ||| 314-432-8200 office              //
/// St Louis                             ||| 314-257-8018 home                //
///                                      ||| 314-694-3207 client office       //
/// All opinions and thoughts are mine and not those of my employer or client /
/// Use anything in here at your own risk                                   \\\