Re: does anyone have list price of 1.2 gig drive handy?

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995 Mark3M@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 95-06-20 00:54:16 EDT, whittle@chaph.usc.edu (Randal
> Whittle) writes:
>
> >Anyone care to hazard a guess or make a list of the *many* items
> >they might have sold a *lot* more of (and presumably still made a profit)
> >if they had just priced them more reasonably?
>
> How about the Micro Channel bus that they screwed up marketing?

  IBM didn't so much screw up the marketing as make it impossible for the
experience card makers to produce these things. Some bright boy decided
that licensing the MCA spec meant you had to _also_ pay BACK royalties on
all the ISA cards you made. Meaning nobody with the existing
ability/resources to make MCA cards could afford to. Which explains why
most of the MCA cards you find|found are IBM or some new company you
never heard of....

> Well, IBM isn't the only one though, Sony messed up making Beta the standard.

  I think Sony was more a victim of the public which didn't care as much
about visual quality as being able to fit six (icky quality) hours onto a
tape instead of a measley 3.5........

 Donald Alan Whiteside     MDCC Wage Slave     School of Computer Science
       Official Usenet Dork for the week of Jan 9-13, 1995
       GCS d-- -p+(---) l u+(-) e+ m+ s !n h f g+ w+ t+(++) r- y++
"There's nothing wrong with you I can't fix with my hands..." FM's Batman