Re: does anyone have list price of 1.2 gig drive handy?

"        What does historical prices have to do with IBM's *current*
pricing on this drive being so *far* out of whack with the current
market?"

You have not given a shred of evidence that this is "out of whack" with
the current market. That would be hard to do, as IBM is leading this
market technologically, so right now, there are no comparison points.

Minaturization is expensive. Note that this is a thinkpad list. The thinkpad
has the same power and features as a desktop model that costs one third
of the price, but minaturizing things is expensive, and as you note (moans
about availability of thinkpads being common on this list and elsewhere),
people are climbing over one another to get the thinkpads at the prices
charged.

You remind me of people who know that they can go to Florida for $89 round
trip if they book three months in advance and stay a week, and then are
outraged when they decide to go on one hour notice, and pay 6 times that
amount.

Different products and technology are not directly comparable, comparing
price per megabte on big and small disks is plain nonsense. Now of course
you may say, well I don't want a small disk if its that expensive. Fine,
that's up to you, but lots of us need the maximum disk space on a notebok
and are willing to pay the price, which is good, since it provides the
funding to keep this technology marching forward. Personally, if there
were a 3 gigi 2.5" disk at $3000 or so, I would order it immediately.
I understand that not everyone needs this much space, or can afford it,
but clearly if you DO need this much space, you have to be preapred to
pay for the advanced technology that syupports it.