Re: sound from CD-ROM

At 12:22 AM 6/10/95 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Jun 1995, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
>
>> on a sad note, the panasonic PCMCIA CD-ROM does _NOT_ work with Windows
95. :-(

>I'm curious if anyone tried this:
>
>Start out with Win 3.1.  Install the driver for the CD-ROM.  Install
>Win95 from the CD.
>
>I remember reading somewhere that if Win95 doesn't have a driver for a
>particular device, it will revert to the Win3.1 driver for the device.
>Would doing the install through the device (and thus already making it a
>part of your hardware) force the system to use the old driver??

the panasonic pcmcia cd-rom does not include any windows 3.1 drivers.  instead,
there are 2 DOS drivers in config.sys which look like:

aspimngr.sys /port=380
kmecd.sys /d:PCMCIACD

aspi is for the scsi (i guess), and kmecd is some driver for the drive itself.

we placed a phone call to tech support.  they said that "yes, the drive does
not work with Windows 95.  However, we refuse to develop a driver for beta
software. If Microsoft does release Win95 in August, we will hopefully have
a driver by late Sept or Oct".

---------
Todd Tannenbaum
CAE Model Advanced Facility