Re: ThinkPad "Next Generation"

<<snip>>
>"Next Generation"??  Has anyone heard ANYTHING about what IBM is
>working on for these next generation ThinkPads?  Are they about to
>release a complete new line of ThinkPads or is this some long term
>plan for release in the years to come?  Sure made me curious that
>IBM is apparently meeting with computer magazine editors to discuss
>future products.  Companies don't do this unless something big is
>in the works and getting ready for some massive marketing campaign
>in the very near future.
>
>I just want to know if I should return my "old" 755CX before the
>30-day refund period is up and wait for the "next generation"?  ;-)

Sandy, IMHO if you were able to justify the purchase of your 755CX
and need it, the issue of a 'next generation' computer shouldn't
concern you.  There will always be a 'next generation' computer coming.

If you always tried to wait for the latest technology, you end up never
buying anything because something better always comes out.

If I had to guess why IBM is going to magazine editors, I'd say it's because
IBM is still trying to shed the skin of the corporate DP shop mentality
where everything is hush-hush until it is ready to roll out, only to find
that what was made didn't even come close to what was needed.

They have used this technique very successfully in the past when dealing with
LAN and OS software.  They would invite people such as Rich in and discuss
with them their strategy as well as future products.  This gives the person
a better feel for why IBM does something short term and how it affects the
long term.

I seem to remember that one time some very popular writer for a major computer
magazine was writing articles about how mis-directed IBM was with OS/2.  After
he returned from his little 'excursion', he actually admitted, in subsequent
articles' that he was wrong and that IBM really did have their s*** together.

I wish I knew what the next generation was.  Hey - maybe they finally figured
out how to stabilize Lithiom Polymer so it doesn't blow up and our next
mobile computer's casing will be our battery.

|Kris D. Williams<krisdw@basenet.net>                           |
|Instructor/Developer:Mobile Education-IBM Education & Training |
|Co-Owner:InComm - Sensible Solutions for the Road Warrior      |
|My opinions are my own (really!)                               |