Warp: What do I need?

   From: "Arturo J. Morales" <art@aaRS.mit.edu>
   Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 19:26:32 -0400

   -What kind of extra drivers do i need in order to run Warp on my
   'pad?  I remember using some utility disks for 2.1 but i have no
   idea about which ones to use for Warp...Is there a FAQ? (updated)

The drivers that Warp has built-in, while not perfect, do work
acceptably.  The only other thing you would need is the ThinkPad
features programs from the ThinkPad Utility diskette, e.g. the Fuel
program, Power program, etc.

   -I need to be able to compile C code on my system, I did use gcc at
   one point with minor complaints (besides a 30+ meg swap file during
   compiling :) However, I also need to be able to port (flawlessly)
   my code to Unix (There are no graphics, so it should be fairly easy
   (i hope))

   Has anyone used any other compilers? I had very bad experiences
   with older releases of Bordland C++ and would like your opinions...

I've used both GCC/2 and IBM C Set++.  GCC/2 works OK but lacks
debugging support.  I also understand that the project has been
discontinued.  IBM C Set++ works very well, but is expensive ($250).

I understand that many people use EMX GCC, which is probably the best
choice if you want the maximum unix compatibility.  I haven't tried
it.

   -One last point, due to the fact that I'm but a lowly grad student,
   I only have 8 megs of RAM and 170 HD.  Is it better for OS/2 to get
   more HD or more RAM?  I know the answer is both, but what if you
   were forced to decide?

I'd suggest more RAM.  RAM is the single most important factor for
good performance in Warp.