Re: Parallel port sound card?

On April 20, 8:39am, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Subject: Re:  Parallel port sound card?
>
>stop telling me I don't get sound with Doom on a 755C. I am running the
>original shareware episode on my 755C in a DOS full window with full
>sound.
>
>Chuck, if you want to come by my apartment sometime, you can listen to my
>755C Dooming around :-)

Sorry for our cynicism Robert, but getting sound to work on Doom has been a
holy grail for this group for a long time. :)

The first question that came to my mind was whether you had a 755C or a 755CE.
 Chuck is correct about the sound chip on the 750/755C's being fundamentally
incompatible with the SoundBlaster, so sound does not work on Doom on those
machines, because they require a SB emulation TSR which only runs in real-mode,
and Doom runs in protected mode.

My next question was if you had ever heard Doom running on a desktop PC?  In
other words, are you getting stereo sound effects and especially music on your
ThinkPad running Doom?

On Apr 19, 10:35pm, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Subject: Re:  Parallel port sound card?
>
> yup works just fine, been dooming away with sound on my TP755 for a while
> using adlib as the sound selection.

I've brought up the Doom setup utility on my latop, and under the "Select Sound
FX Device" menu, there are five choices, but the Adlib is *NOT* one of them:
UltraSound, Pro Audio Spectrum, Sound Blaster, PC Speaker, NONE.

If you select one of the sound cards offered, you run into the other serious
incompatibility with the ThinkPad's sound chip -- most sound cards want to use
IO port 220, interrupt 5 for sound -- the ThinkPad uses IO port 30, interrupt
10.  These can be reset, but I'm sure you would have mentioned by now if you
needed to to this.

My last question is which version of Doom are you running?  When you first boot
the game, it will mention something about the Doom operating system number.
 Perhaps Id Software finally added sound support for the ThinkPads in a recent
release or patch?

Robert

--
--

| Robert George            |  Army Research Laboratory              |
| robertg@assb01.arl.mil   |  AMSRL-SS-IC                           |

For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth
sorrow.
    --Ecclesiastes 1:18