RE: What we've all been waiting for

> hosseino @ yu1.yu.edu (Joshua Hosseinof) writes:
> The Pentium upgrade is only for the 755CE/CSE/CD and costs $1149.
  This is a bit weird.  How does it use system memory?  The Pentium
  uses a 64-bit bus.  The cache probably does the 64-bit to 32-bit
  conversion so the performance will be less than true Pentium laptops...

> Surprisingly the 701 uses a "Super Nicad" instead of NiMH.  Also you now
> have the option of getting OS2 WARP pre-installed.  A lot of caveats with
> this model and alot of options won't be available for a few months.
  Other info on it:
    - The built-in faxmodem is not based on the Mwave because the chip
       was too big (I'm disappointed)-:  It is based on the Yamaha chip so
       it is soundblaster compatible.  In the trade rags, it is referred to  as
the
       ESS/Yamaha sound subsystem.
    - The TFT display can show 1.7M colors in 16.7M color mode which is
       a step up from the 755CE/CD displays.
   No idea when a Cardbus model will ship or when a true Pentium model
   will ship.  The above info was from chatting w/ one of the 701 developers
   who posted on comp.sys.laptops...just wanted to mention it here because
   it doesn't show up on any IBM spec sheets I've seen...
   I'm also hoping for 800x600 displays in the Fall, but we'll have to see...

 ken