RE: Looking for a good DRAM vendor...

In message Wed, 8 Mar 1995 15:09:07 -0500,
  stevens@watson.ibm.com (Andrew Stevens)  writes:

>> Because of the quake in Kobe, Japan, memory prices are rising, so the
>> prices quoted there are lower than what you will probably get.  I
>> bargained down to $45 over the advertised price.
>
> That is total B.S.!!  It has nothing to do with the earthquake, the ad
> price is ALWAYS lower than what they actually say on the phone.

Well, when I got my 8MB upgrade a year ago from First Source, the ad price
was *higher* than what they told me on the phone.  As for increasing prices
due to the earthquake, yes it's sick but that's the way commodities markets
work.  Less perceived supply == higher prices no matter when the item was
made.  Those of you who got an active matrix early on should know that.

One of the nice things about this mailing list is you can say you know
someone who just bought XXX from them at $YYY.  You don't have to tell them
it was before the earthquake.  :-)
| | John H. Kim           "Um ... no." -- Outfielder Darryl Strawberry's |
| | jokim@mit.edu          hesitant reply when asked by a judge if he    |
| | jokim@uni.uiuc.edu     had taken drugs in the past few days.         |