Re: Looking for a good DRAM vendor...

>I am thinking of buying an memory extension for my TP360CSE.
>4MB is really too small to run Linux !! I am looking for people
>with experience with such operation. I would like to set up a list
>of dealers known to have good price *AND* good product *AND* with a good
>quality of service (short delays).
>
>I recently show some adds in the January issue from PC magazine.
>Prices can range from $880 to $659 for the 16MB IC DRAM extension and
>from $400 to $250 for the 8MB one.
>
>The lowest price was advertised by <<First Source International>> at
>$659 for the 16MB (anyone tried this dealer already ?). I wonder what can
>of product is this ? A real good quality IBM or a strange taiwainese  clone ?
>
>Anyway, I remember that the 360 Series does not manage the parity bit on
>RAM. Is this true ?
>
>Can people send me or to the list (I think it can be worth) the name of the
>dealer they order their extension from as well as the name of the
>manufacturer ?
>
>Moreover, any experience with ordering from outside US is welcomed !!
>
>Thanks.

I ordered from First Source.  The 32 Mb chip I got seems to work fine.
Lifetime warranty, etc. on the memory.

Because of the quake in Kobe, Japan, memory prices are rising, so the prices
quoted there are lower than what you will probably get.  I bargained down to
$45 over the advertised price.
Derek V. Chan
dvchan@netcom.com