driver for larger virtual screen?

to help compensate for my laptop's small screen, i'd like some kind
of "virtual screen" software (i.e. pretend the screen is, say, 2000x2000,
and let me quickly change which part of it is actually being displayed
at any given time).

i've used packages that did this on other OSs (e.g. olvwm under unix/X),
and i once played with some other laptop (i think it was a panasonic) that
seemed to provide this as part of the windows video device driver.

is there any way to get this capability on my thinkpad?

                                                .mike.