Re: RESOLVED! Buzzing w/ PCMCIA

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Randal Whittle wrote:

> 	Case closed.  :)  Thank you to all that responded to my pleas
> for help, but y'all scared me unnecessarily!  The real problem appears to
> be not with the modem, but the computer.
  I'm still inclined to think it's a modem issue. The modem may be
picking up some interference from the voltage regulator, but I bet that
if you borrow someone else's modem and try it you won't have the same
problem.
  You may want to consider that the modem may be SUPPOSED to be grounded
through the edges....

> 	Just as an aside--at least one person pointed out that replacement
> modem fixed his buzzing problem.  I am curious--did it *look* physically
> different?  Namely, was it designed in such a way that it had some plastic
> where there was previously metal?  This would have accomplished the same
> thing that my electrical tape did.
  I mentioned that several people on comp.sys.laptops have described this
problem and had it fixed by a replacement unit. Beyond that, I have no