No Subject

>From andy Fri Jan 27 09:29:38 EST 1995 remote from spencer.salem.ge.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 09:29:38 EST
From: andy@spencer.salem.ge.com
To:   TP750@CS.UTK.EDU
Subject: USR Modem problems w/ TP750

I've noticed something disturbing while testing some PCMCIA modems.  I've
used the MHZ XJ1144 & XJ2144 without any problems, but when I tested
the USRobotics Worldport or Sportster 14400 modems they seem to lose
characters at speeds above 9600.  While we are using these modems in UNIX
(I wrote a generic point enabler for the version we're using) I noticed
the problem even in DOS with kermit or Procomm.  If you connect to the
modem at 19200, and issue an 'ati4' command to dump the modem settings,
normally the columns line up.  With the USR modems you often notice
missing characters so the columns don't line up.

Whats really scary, is that they work fine at high speed (38400) with my
TP755; the problem only occurs on the TP750.  I've contacted USR without
success, but I strongly suspect its an IBM 'feature' since it isn't a
problem on our 755s.  Our usually responsive contact at IBM has been
slient on the subject...

Anyone else seen similar problems?
--                                       GGGG    EEEEE  DDDD    SSSS
      Andy Spencer                     G        E      D   D  S
   andy@spencer.salem.ge.com          G  GGG   EEE    D   D   SSSS
   (703) 387-7361 (Voice)            G    G   E      D   D       S
   (703) 387-8651 (Fax)              GGGGG   EEEEE  DDDD    SSSS
GE Drive Systems     1501 Roanoke Blvd / Rm  287       Salem, VA  24153