RE: Socketed 750 CPU's

In message Thu, 8 Dec 94 12:46:33 PST,
  george@cs.nps.navy.mil (Robert George)  writes:

>> > Can we use any Intel upgrade chip to bring this CPU up.
>>
>>   I believe the TP750 CPUs, even the CE, are not socketed.
>
> I'm pretty sure the 750C's are socketed.  They are available as a 50Mhz,
> or a 75Mhz 486 with the same motherboard. I was told by IBM tech support
> that the upgrade consisted of replacing a socketed cpu.

Now wait a second.  The TP750, 750CS and 750C all use the Intel 486SL/33
CPU which has been discontinued.  Even if it were socketed, I doubt a 486DX
would fit in its place - the SL has some functions built into it that are
missing on the DX/SX.

The 750CE uses a 486DX2.  As does the 755 series.  But the 750CE is an
earlier incarnation of the 755 (and predates the DX4), so I'm not sure the
CPU is socketed.  The 755 series *is* socketed.  At least that's what I was
told when I asked IBM soon after it was introduced.
| | John H. Kim    "None of what you are seeing is actually happening." |
| | jokim@mit.edu        - disclaimer for TV movie 'Without Warning'    |
| | jokim@uni.uiuc.edu     jokim@tuna.mit.edu does not work (yet)       |