Memory options from IBM

Nothing spectacular in this announcement except that IBM came out with
their own 32MB Dram card.  Prices are on the high side.  The only
surprising thing is mention of a "Thinkpad Power Series 850" notebook.
Does anyone know anything about this as I don't recall it ever being
announced?  Presumably, it's a Power PC with all the thinkpad features.

Josh Hosseinof
hosseino@yu1.yu.edu
-----------------------

Options by IBM: Memory Products

Announced on October 25, 1994
PRODUCT Announcement 194-378

Under the Options(TM) by IBM(R) brand, 13 memory upgrade products are
introduced as part of IBM's family of low-power (LP) memory expansion
options.  Designed on a convenient and small form factor, these
memory upgrades provide a logical growth path for system memory
upgrades in IBM laptop systems and portables with compatible slots.

With larger and more powerful operating systems and applications
becoming available, the upgrades provide you with cost-effective
solutions.  If only one upgrade slot is available on the system, you
may want to evaluate upgrading to the maximum based on immediate
requirements and projected future requirements.

The IBM IC (integrated circuit) DRAM (direct random access memory)
cards are credit card-sized memory expansion options designed for
ThinkPad(R) and other laptop or portable computer applications.
Because of their durability, ease of use, ease of installation, and
ease of handling, the cards are also used in selected PowerPC(TM)
applications.

The SO (small outline) DIMMS (dual inline memory modules) are also
memory expansion options for ThinkPad systems and are packaged in a
small, space-saving card.  These "SIMM-like" cards are only
2.35-inches long and 1- to 1.25-inches high with 72-pin gold-plated
contacts arranged in a staggered dual row.

                                                            Single
                                          Part              Unit
Description                               Number            Price

IC DRAM Memory

4MB Upgrade - 70ns 5v Parity              92G7232           $  329
8MB Upgrade - 70ns 5v Parity              92G7233              615
16MB Upgrade - 70ns 5v Parity             92G7234            1,105

4MB (PPS)* - 70ns 5v Parity               92G7238              329
8MB (PPS) - 70ns 5v Parity                92G7241              615
16MB (PPS) - 70ns 5v Parity               92G7265            1,105
32MB (PPS) - 70ns 5v Parity               92G7269            2,129

4MB Upgrade - 70ns 5v Non-Parity          92G7236              295
8MB Upgrade - 70ns 5v Non-Parity          92G7237              589
16MB Upgrade - 70ns 5v Non-Parity         92G7424            1,035

SO DIMM Memory

4MB Upgrade - 70ns 3.3v Non-Parity        92G7259              299
8MB Upgrade - 70ns 3.3v Non-Parity        92G7261              599
16MB Upgrade - 70ns 3.3v Non-Parity       92G7263            1,095

Planned Availability Date:  December 5, 1994

(TM)  Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation
(R)   Registered trademark of International Business Machines
      Corporation
*     PowerPC Personal Systems

IN BRIEF . . .

| For ThinkPad 700/720/750/755, ThinkPad Power Series 850, and      |
| PC Power Series 600 systems:                                      |
| o  4MB, 8MB, 16MB, and 32MB IC DRAMS 5 volts parity               |
| For ThinkPad 360 systems:                                         |
| o  4MB, 8MB, and 16MB IC DRAMS 5 volts non-parity                 |
| For other compatible ThinkPad 3.3 volt non-parity systems:        |
| o  4MB, 8MB, and 16MB SO DIMMS 3.3 volts non-parity               |
| For technical support:                                            |
| o  Call the HelpCenter(R) (800-426-7299)                          |
|     or                                                            |
| o  Request technical information via IBM Faxback (800-426-3395).  |

IBM 4MB, 8MB, AND 16MB IC DRAM MEMORY -- 70NS 5V LP PARITY (92G7232,
92G7233, 92G7234)

IN BRIEF...

o  4MB:  70ns (1M x 36) 88-pin 5v parity
o  8MB:  70ns (2M x 36) 88-pin 5v parity
o  16MB:  70ns (4M x 36) 88-pin 5v parity

The IBM 4MB, 8MB, and 16MB (megabyte) IC DRAM Memory Cards offer
low-power memory expansion to laptop and desktop systems.  These
credit card-sized IC DRAM cards expand the internal memory of a
laptop/desktop by 4MB, 8MB, or 16MB simply by inserting them into an
IC DRAM slot.  Expanded DRAM capabilities enable higher application
performance and more efficient system operation.

These IC DRAM cards are part of an IBM family of low-power memory
expansion cards that support low-power applications and aid in the
extension of a laptop battery's operational life between recharges.
The cards are packaged in IBM's durable laser-welded, stainless steel
package, and are quick and convenient to install.

The 4MB and 8MB IC DRAM upgrade cards can be installed on ThinkPad
700, 720, 750, and 755 systems.  The 16MB IC DRAM upgrade card can be
installed on IBM ThinkPad 750 and 755 systems.

The cards support parity, operate at 5 volts low-power with an access
time of 70ns, and are packaged in 88-pin credit card-sized durable,
stainless steel cards.  They are designed to function in systems with
slots conforming to the JEIDA (Japan Electrical Industry Development
Association)/JEDEC (Joint Electronic Device Engineering Council)
industry standard guidelines 1.0 and 2.0 for DRAM cards.

Note: LP = Low-Power

Planned Availability Date:  December 5, 1995

Technical Information

Physical Specifications:

o  Width:  54.1 mm (2.13 in.)
o  Depth:  3.5 mm (.138 in.)
o  Length:  85.8 mm (3.38 in.)
o  Weight:  .042 kg (1.5 oz)

Operating Environment:

o  Temperature:  0(degs)C to 55(degs)C  (32(degs)F to 131(degs) F)
o  Relative humidity:  95% maximum
o  Operating current:  1120mA maximum for the 4MB and 8MB cards;
   1280mA maximum for the 16MB card

Agency Approvals:  Meets required operating criteria.

Original Country of Origin:  Assembled in Canada.  Components may be
manufactured in the U.S.A., Japan, Korea, Germany, Italy, or Ireland.

Note: This may vary through the life of the product.

Hardware Requirements -- IBM Systems:  The IBM 4MB IC DRAM Card 70ns,
88-pin, 5v LP, Parity (#2120, 92G7232) and 8MB IC DRAM Card 70ns,
88-pin, 5v LP, Parity (#2121, 92G7233) are supported on the following
platforms:

                         Machine
Manufacturer             Type                    Model

ThinkPad 700/720         9552                    (All)
                                                 300, 301, 307, 308
                                                 30B, 30J
ThinkPad 750             9545                    (All)
                                                 006, 008, 206, 208,
                                                 306, 308, 40C, 40E
ThinkPad 755             9545                    (All)
                                                 E0C, E0E, E0G, K0C,
                                                 K0E, K0G, F0C, F0E,
                                                 F0G, L0C, L0E, L0G,
                                                 6BC, 6BD, 6BE, 7BC,
                                                 7BD, 7BE, 9BD, 9BE
PS/2(R) CL57SX
  Laptop                 8554                    045

The IBM 16MB IC DRAM Card 70ns, 88-pin, 5v LP, Parity (#2122,
92G7234) is supported on the following platforms:

                         Machine
Manufacturer             Type                    Model

ThinkPad 750             9545                    (All)
                                                 006, 008, 206, 208,
                                                 306, 308, 40C, 40E
ThinkPad 755             9545                    (All)
                                                 E0C, E0E, E0G, K0C,
                                                 K0E, K0G, F0C, F0E,
                                                 F0G, L0C, L0E, L0G,
                                                 6BC, 6BD, 6BE, 7BC,
                                                 7BD, 7BE, 9BD, 9BE

Hardware Requirements -- Non-IBM Systems:

o  70ns
o  Organization

   -  4MB - 1M x 36 bits
   -  8MB - 2M x 36 bits
   -  16MB - 4M x 36 bits

o  Parity 5 volts
o  88-pin IC DRAM sockets compatible with the JEIDA/JEDEC industry
   standard guidelines 1.0 and 2.0 for DRAM cards

Software Requirements:

o  IBM DOS 5.2, or later, and Windows 3.1
o  DOS 5.0, or later, and Windows 3.1
o  OS/2(R) 1.3, or later

Compatibility:  The 4MB, 8MB, and 16MB cards are designed for IBM
laptop and desktop systems that support the JEIDA/JEDEC industry
standard for IC DRAM cards and the specifications as outlined in the
Hardware Requirements section.

Note: Some configurations may not be compatible.

Limitations:  An open compatible slot as specified in the Hardware
Requirements section is required.

Planning Information

Cable Orders Required:  No

Installation Time:  30 minutes (average)

Packaging:  One box

Shipment Group

o  IBM 4MB, 8MB or 16MB IC DRAM Upgrade 70ns 5v LP Parity
o  Installation and User's Guide
o  Registration Card

Note: An Options by IBM Hardware Maintenance Manual Supplement
(S83G-8275) is available in support of these products.

Security, Auditability and Control

These products use the security and auditability features of the host
hardware, software, and/or application software.

Terms and Conditions

Field Installable Feature:  Yes

Warranty Period:  Three years

Warranty Service:  Customer Carry-in Exchange (CCE)

Customer Setup:  Yes

All other terms and conditions are the same as those applicable to
the IBM machine type in which the feature is installed.

Help and Service Information

During the warranty period, technical support is available
(800-426-7299) 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for answering any
questions about your new IBM option.  If you need warranty service,
return or exchange is available.  In addition, if your IBM option is
installed in an IBM computer, you may be entitled to service at your
location.  Your technical support representative can help you
determine the best alternative.

Charges

                                                        Single
                                  Part                  Unit
Description                       Number                Price*

4MB IC DRAM 5v Parity             92G7232             $  329
8MB IC DRAM 5v Parity             92G7233                615
16MB IC DRAM 5v Parity            92G7234              1,105

*     The single unit price reflects the purchase price for a single
      unit acquired from IBM, and is subject to change without
      notice.  This price is for information purposes only, and shall
      not limit in any way the remarketers' ability to set their own
      prices for IBM products.

IBM 4MB, 8MB, 16MB, AND 32MB IC DRAM MEMORY -- 70NS 5V LP PARITY
(92G7238, 92G7241, 92G9265, 92G7269)

IN BRIEF...

o  4MB:  70ns (1M x 36) 88-pin 5v parity
o  8MB:  70ns (2M x 36) 88-pin 5v parity
o  16MB:  70ns (4M x 36) 88-pin 5v parity
o  32MB:  70ns (8M x 36) 88-pin 5v parity

The IBM 4MB, 8MB, 16MB, or 32MB (megabyte) IC DRAM Cards offer
low-power memory expansion to laptop and desktop systems.  These
credit card-sized IC DRAM cards expand the internal memory of a
laptop/desktop by 4MB. 8MB, 16MB, or 32MB simply by inserting them
into an IC DRAM slot.  Expanded DRAM capabilities enable higher
application performance and more efficient system operation.

These IC DRAM cards are part of an IBM family of low-power memory
expansion cards that support low-power applications and aid in the
extension of a laptop battery's operational life between recharges.
The cards are packaged in IBM's durable, laser-welded, stainless
steel package, and are quick and convenient to install.

The 4MB and 8MB IC DRAM upgrade cards can be installed on IBM
ThinkPad Power Series 850 and IBM PC Power Series 600 systems.  The
16MB and 32MB IC DRAM upgrade cards can be installed on IBM ThinkPad
Power Series 850 systems.

The cards support parity, operate at 5 volts low-power with an access
time of 70ns, and are packaged in 88-pin credit card-sized durable,
stainless steel cards.  They are designed to function in systems with
slots conforming to the JEIDA (Japan Electrical Industry Development
Association)/JEDEC (Joint Electronic Device Engineering Council)
industry standard guidelines 1.0 and 2.0 for DRAM cards.

Note: LP = Low-Power

Planned Availability Date:  December 5, 1995

Technical Information

Physical Specifications:

o  Width:  54.1 mm (2.13 in.)
o  Depth:   3.5 mm (.138 in.)
o  Length:  85.8 mm (3.38 in.)
o  Weight:  .042 kg (1.5 oz)

Operating Environment:

o  Temperature:  0(degs)C to 55(degs)C  (32(degs)F to 131(degs)F)
o  Relative humidity:  95% maximum
o  Operating current:  1000mA maximum

Agency Approvals:  Meets required operating criteria.

Original Country of Origin:  Assembled in Canada.  Components may be
manufactured in the U.S.A., Japan, Korea, Germany, Italy, or Ireland.

Note: This may vary through the life of the product

Hardware Requirements -- IBM Systems:  The IBM 4MB IC DRAM Card 70ns,
88-pin, 5v LP, Parity (#4098, 92G7238) and IBM 8MB IC DRAM Card 70ns,
88-pin, 5v LP, Parity (#4099, 92G7241) are supported on all models of
the following IBM platforms/models:

                              Machine
Manufacturer                  Type