IBM PCMCIA -- install quick?

  Hello,
        I've been staring at this IBM PCMCIA fax/modem (42G-2581) for a week
        now -- I tried the user's manual, but it's written in IBM'ese. Can
        someone tell me the 3 or so things  to do to get it running? Like,
        do I have to install any system software? Shouldn't it already be
        pre-loaded on my 500? I'm sure it's simple as pie, but IBM couldn't
        make it seem that way...or maybe I'm just overextended. :)

                      thank you!