hibernation w/PCMCIA

	What's the general concensus out there regarding hibernation
with PCMCIA cards?  Is it necessary to either remove and replace the
card or restart the computer following hibernation?
	I've been having some strange things happening when trying
to access my PCMCIA modem after returning from hibernation.  If the
machine has been in hibernation for about 24 hours or less, everything
works fine: computer starts normally, modem is recognized, everthing
is peachy.  If the machine has been in hibernation for two or three
days, however, one of two things happen: either the computer locks-up
as soon as it tries to access the modem, or whatever software is trying
to find the modem tells me that the modem is not responding.  Either
way, a system restart fixes the problem.  (I haven't tried removing
and replacing the PCMCIA card yet, as it's easier to push CTRL-ALT-DEL
than it is to remove the cover on the PCMCIA slot and then eject the
card).
	I think IBM's position is that it is generally necessary
to reseat the card after hibernation, as one of their tech support
people with whom I spoke suggested that the card forgets everything
it ever knew once power to the card is shut off.
	I would really appreciate hearing how other people out there
work around this minor annoyance........anybody?

Thanks,

   - Karl Yeanoplos
     Denver, CO.