Re: Expanding logical disk without erasing?

<Randal Whittle> writes:

 > > I partitioned my TP750Ce's 340MB disk so that it has 120 MB (240 MB
 > > compressed for DOS) and 220 MB which I thought will use for Linux.
 > > However, I Might get another PC for Linux. So I would like to expand
 > > TP750 disk to be used as C: disk. Is it possible w/o erasing everything
 > > on it already? I do not want to call the 2nd disk as a D: or something else.
 > > I rather keep it simple C:.
 >
 > 	I can't remember for sure, but I don't think so--you'll have to
 > create a whole new (large) partition, but first you have to delete the
 > existing partition--you can't simply "expand" it.  So have fun backing
 > everything up!  ;)
 >
 > 	However, if you use all of the drive in one partition (C:), you
 > will end up with 8K clusters--incredibly wasteful.  If it were me (and
 > I have done precisely this with mine), I would use the second partition
 > as is--a "D:" drive, which would be 4K clusters, while your C: drive is
 > 2K clusters.  That way you waste less space with those smaller files.
 > You'll lose lots of slack space with those 8K clusters--perhaps as much
 > as 30 MB.
 >
 > > In adddition, what does 486 SL-Enhanced DX2-50 mean? The Thinkpad
 > > crawls on every application I run - like Mathematics, Lotus, etc.
 > > How can I make it faster?
 >
 > 	My presumption is that your machine is going into low-gear to
 > save battery juice.  Try playing with your power consumption settings.

Thanks a lot for all the replies. It looks like it is simpler to keep
the new partition as 'D:' and later use 'join' or 'assign'.

Someone mantioned that theres is 'fips' available that CAN be used
non-destructively to extend partitions, but a few following replies
mentioned that sometimes it may NOT work.

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

/Pradeep