Re: Expanding logical disk without erasing?

>  > > I partitioned my TP750Ce's 340MB disk so that it has 120 MB (240 MB
>  > > compressed for DOS) and 220 MB which I thought will use for Linux.
>  > > However, I Might get another PC for Linux. So I would like to expand
>  > > TP750 disk to be used as C: disk. Is it possible w/o erasing everything
>  > > on it already? I do not want to call the 2nd disk as a D: or something
>  > > I rather keep it simple C:.

>  > 	However, if you use all of the drive in one partition (C:), you
>  > will end up with 8K clusters--incredibly wasteful.  If it were me (and
>  > I have done precisely this with mine), I would use the second partition
>  > as is--a "D:" drive, which would be 4K clusters, while your C: drive is
>  > 2K clusters.  That way you waste less space with those smaller files.
>  > You'll lose lots of slack space with those 8K clusters--perhaps as much
>  > as 30 MB.
>  >

> If I call it a 'D:' can I have sort of a symbolic link to this thing?
> I am a UNIX person & competely new to DOS. I am running DOS-6.2 with new
> fdisk. Can I do that or I have to pick one of the public fdisk's on the
> net.

	I don't understand what you are asking--a symbolic link?

	Your DOS 6.2 (Why did you dump PC-DOS, by the way?  Personally,
I find it more elegant that the MS version) has an Fdisk that will work
perfectly.

	Just go to Fdisk, and in that second partition, you need to do
two things:  (1) make it a "DOS" partition and then (2) Make various
"Logical" drives within that partition (presumably, just one big Logical
drive is what you'll want).  Then drop back to DOS (quit FDisk) and
reboot to be certain.

	DOS will now allow you to type "D:" and give you a "D" prompt.
However, it won't know what to do with the disk because it is not
formatted--so format it.  Then BOOM--you're done!  You now have a ready-to-
use, formatted D: partition.  Install stuff as you desire.... (and I would
suggest you put your compressed drive on the D: partition and leave
C: uncompressed--just makes life easier for booting and having uncompressed
drive space for things like Hibernation files or Windows Swapfiles).

-----
Randy Whittle    whittle@chaph.usc.edu
University of Southern California School of Business (Fight on, 'SC Trojans!)
 - Motorcycle nut, HP 48GX & 100LX user, & lover of fine chocolate...
 "It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept!" -Calvin
 "Consensus is the negation of leadership." - Margaret Thatcher