Re: Disk Add on

> This *is* strange.  I assume you still have the 170 MB drive lying around.
> Could you measure it and compare to mine?  I placed the drive as it sits in
> the ThinkPad.  From the center of the screw on the left side to the leftmost
> pin it's 8 mm.  From the center of the screw on the right side to the
> rightmost pin it's 7.5mm.  As I said, the 340 MB drive had pins shifted
> about 2 mm (one pin) to the left.  Yes, I removed the jumped at the right
> end.  The model number matched up with the one you gave me.

I will look into this tonight. I am SURE that the 170MB and 340MB drives
were exact. Except for the label, I couldn't tell them apart.

> Maybe it's our 170MB drives that are different.  When did you buy your TP?

Three months ago.

> > I would like another case and cable assembly, to put the 170MB drive in.
> > I don't know how practical it is to swap the drives though. The life of
> > the connectors are limited.
>
> Since one of IBM's selling points is that you can use one computer with
> multiple drives for several people, I assume this sort of wear and tear is
> covered under warranty.

Hmmm. I thought their reason for providing the drive was to allow USER
upgrades. Forgive me on this. If the connector is rated at 10,000 cycles
(very likely), they you don't have anything to worry about. I don't
think you will be using that ThinkPad for over five years.

> The label is a great way to hold the screws in place.  :)

Point taken.

Well in the end we have two documented cases of upgrading thinkpad drives!
(Even if it was with IBM's own drives....)
--
Scott A. Stratmoen | strat@ast.dsd.northrop.com