RE: Disk Add on

In message Sat, 2 Jul 1994 19:02:50 -0500 (CDT),
  strat@atfs0.dsd.northrop.com (Scott Stratmoen)  writes:

> One source for the IBM H2344-A4 340MB IDE drive is,
>
> Micro Machines
> 2120 Howell Ave. Suite 404-405
> Anaheim, CA 92806 USA
> 714-978-2220

This place is 15 minutes from where I live so I called them.

> Their flyer states that the cost for the drive was $399 in March of this
> year. I was quoted $499 two weeks ago. I can't find out where they are
> getting the drives from.

I was quoted $420.  I went ahead and bought one (I figured since it was
local if anything went wrong I could drive there and complain in person).
I also got a price list which I didn't check until I got home.  It lists the
drive at $399.  Oh well.  They said the drive is new, not refurbished, and
it certainly is an IBM drive that fits in the TP750.  I think they had one
left - even IBM doesn't have these in stock right now.

> The drive installs directly in the container which the 170MB drive comes
> in.

Not quite.  The pins on the drive are offset from the pins on the 170MB
drive by one.  i.e. the pins are in the same location relative to each
other, but the pins on the 340MB drive are shifted about 2mm to the left.
I went ahead and forced the cable that goes from the pins to the hard drive
socket to fit (a little bit of creative folding, but it's still under some
stress) and the drive works fine (I'm typing up on it right now).  I'm going
to try to find a case though because I'm not comfortable with the way the
cable doesn't quite fit.  Maybe now that I have a true blue IBM hard drive
without a case I'll have a little more clout?

As a last resort I suppose I could leave it in and tell IBM to fix it if it
breaks.
--
John H. Kim              | "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like
jokim@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu | 'contributing' this year come April" - Bob Dole