Re: Any Enet Experience?

> I'm interested in getting my TP750C set up with Ethernet connectivity.
> My primary goal is to be able to network with my desktop system when
> my TP is at home. I don't know why, but I have the impression that
> Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is the cost-effective way to do this. My

	I've done precisely this in my own setup.  Only 2 computers
involved--the desktop and the TP750C.  Both using 3Com Etherlink III
cards, the TP750C using the PCMCIA version on the special promotion you
mention later in your note.  I presume you have the phone number if you
called them.  Don't worry about compatibility--it works perfectly (even
says so on the box!  The TP is one of the "official" computers it has been
tested with and shown to work).

> secondary goal is to be able to communicate with a UNIX system running
> TCP/IP (and potentially NFS) that I plan to set up, also at home. I

	This part I can't help with.

> I'm also interested in inexpensive hardware. I recently received a note
> (I think on this mailing list) about a special program that 3Com is
> running with their PCMCIA Ethernet card that's in the right price
> range. However, when I called them for more information and tried to
> ask about ThinkPad compatability and Easy Playing PCMCIA drivers, I
> had the feeling that I was speaking a foreign language. Anyway, since
> I'm already using the Easy Playing software from IBM for my MHz modem,
> I'd like to avoid using another huge chunk of memory for drivers for
> the network. (This is especially the case, as I'm planning to get a
> PCMCIA SCSI card and have the same memory desires with regards to it.)

	If I were to buy a PCMCIA SCSI card, I think I'd get the Adaptec.

	Again, no need to worry about the 3Com card--works perfectly.  Doesn't
even require any drivers/PCMCIA socket services to work--it runs on some sort
of "enabler" so when you have the 3Com drivers for your network, they
automatically "find" the card.  The only memory used will be that which the
network and its drivers require.

	Oh, and by the way--I suggest you keep in mind that you may have to
call 3Com's BBS to get drivers for Windows for WorkGroups to work with the
PCMCIA card--but once you have them and edit out a couple of lines in the
network.ini file, it works beautifully.

	I use a 10Base-T setup, with a crossover cable I made myself instead
of an expensive hub, since a crossover cable will suffice in a 2-computer
situation, but if you want to hookup a 3rd or more, I would recommend just
using 10Base-2 (Coax) cabling instead--saves the expense of a hub ($300+).

> Has anyone got any experiences with reasonably priced Ethernet hardware
> and/or software (like the 3Com) that could help educate me a bit as to
> whether what I'm looking for might exist yet? Thank you very much!
>
> Ron.

	I believe I just did!  ;)

-----
Randy Whittle    whittle@chaph.usc.edu
University of Southern California School of Business (Fight on, 'SC Trojans!)
 - Motorcycle nut, HP 48GX & 100LX user, & lover of fine chocolate...
 "It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept!" -Calvin
 "Consensus is the negation of leadership." - Margaret Thatcher