RE: comm softwareRe: 2.88 fddRe: 2.88 fddhigh-speed modem problems on TP-500

I am having trouble getting a Practical Peripherals
14.4 KB modem working with my TP-500.   I have tried
removing my autoexec.bat and config.sys files, I
have tried MS-DOS and IBM-DOS, I have turned off all
power management (I think).   I just can't figure out
what is wrong.   I am using Procomm (which loses lots
of characters) and FTP Corp. PPP software.   Neither of
them work.
Any suggestions as to what to try will be appreciated.
L. Long
lnl@cac.psu.edu