Re: Why would anyone want opacity?

> mitch wand:
>
> > What we would like is for the language itself to give some support for
> > creating and respecting abstraction boundaries:
>
> i think "respecting" is the important part. without language support,
> woodpeckers win, brilliant engineers lose.

I've thought about that for a while now, and I'm afraid I still
don't see why the brilliant engineers lose; and it's not quite
clear what the metaphor is supposed to be.  Presumably the
brilliant engineers aren't insects hiding in the bark.  (That
would be losing, once a woodpecker came along!)

-- jeff