macros expanding into definitions

I agree with Marc that internal definitions should have a similar semantics to toplevel
definitions.  On several occasions engineers trying to learn and/or use Scheme have asked
for help because of errors resulting from misplaced internal definitions.  I was also originally
confused with mixed semantics.  I suppose the point is, that it is intuitive for the semantics
to be similar.  Since some order is imposed by placing internal definitions at the begining, what
are the arguments for not having such a semantics?

thx 1000k
Lou