Revised WITH-VALUES and VALUES (I think we are near agreement!)

     I must use the phrase "an error"
    to describe situations in which some implementations can signal an
    error, and others do not have to.

The meaning of "is an error" is that the program is incorrect, but the
implementation may not signal the violation.  This goes very much
against the grain of what I want, since it says that the program was
illegal in the first place.

I would rather say that the implementation may report the violation of
an implementation restriction (just like in the numeric section).  The
program is not in error, neither is the implementation, there is
purely a mismatch.