readers & tokenizers

    Date: Thu, 9 Apr 87 11:48:40 est
    From: jinx@geneva.ai.mit.edu (Guillermo J. Rozas)

    I'm not opposed to making available the tokenizer to users.  I think
    that's a good idea.  But I really dislike the idea of reader macros,
    and would much rather make people write their own readers when
    imbedding/implementing other languages.

    If by customizable reader you mean tokenizer (as a procedure or set of
    procedures to invoke on a port, for example), then I don't mind, but I
    will very strongly oppose anything which allowes users to define #.
    easily.

Connection Machine Lisp would have been considerably more difficult
to prototype if not for the availability of the reader-macro facility.
--Guy