Remaining questions & remarks (2)

    Date: 2 Jul 1986 08:13-EDT
    From: JMILLER at MIT-OZ

    I suggest the name APPLICABLE?  instead of PROCEDURE?.  I
    personally do not regard continuations as procedures, but I
    completely understand and empathize with people on the other
    side.  I think the notion of applicable is a legitimate
    generalization and probably would solve Bill's portable printer
    problem just as well.

It never occurred to me that the two words could mean anything
different.  Certainly whatever the name is, the predicate would return
true of all applicable things, including CAR, things created by
CALL-WITH-CURRENT-CONTINUATION, and values of LAMBDA-expressions.

If the term for this kind of object changes, then the word "procedure"
must be replaced by "applicable object" throughout the entire report.  The
term "procedure," which everyone has been so careful to use so far, would
become useless for any purpose I can think of, e.g. describing the
domains of procedures.  That would be unfortunate.