Since its formation in 1989, the SLS group has focused its research on
the creation of technology that enables humans to interact with
computers using natural spoken language. In pursuit of this goal SLS
students and researchers are actively engaged in a number of research
projects. Some of the current projects are:
Core Technology Development
To support its research on spoken language systems for human/computer interaction,
the SLS group has developed its own suite of core
speech technologies. These technologies include:
Development To demonstrate the capabilities of the
technologies they have developed, the SLS group has developed a wide
variety of spoken language applications. Current applications
- City Browser provides information about restaurants in serveral cities.
- Movie Browser provides information about movies.
- Flight Browser lets you obtain information about flight schedules.
- Weather Query provides information about the weather.
- ISLANDS language-learning suite provides speech-based systems for Interactive Second Language Acquisition in Narrow Domains.