Re: Problems with 250MB

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:50:38 -0400, Brooks McNeely wrote:

>At 10:47 PM 8/23/97, Paul Khoury wrote:
>>I am having really BAD problems with my DHAA-2270 drive,
>>which maybe someone can lend some expertise.  I copied stuff
>>from a 340MBdrive from a 755 onto it (formatted w/HPFS), and the
>>340 is, or at least was, FAT.  I just wanted to convert to HPFS.  Now,
>>the old drive is converted, but the temp. drive won't let me access it,
>>and besides using Linux, I don't know how I can access it.  Maybe
>>there are other advanced OS/2 users on this list who can assist me.
>>
>Not sure if I fully understand. You have either a 250MB or 340 MB hard
>drive, recently formatted HPFS, that is now inaccessible when you boot to
>OS/2. You didn't use Partition Magic or other utility to do conversion.
>
>Usually these problems go away when the inaccessible drive is chkdsk'd. You
>can't use chkdsk on it if the system thinks something is allocated on the
>drive - maybe something in config.sys references a file on the drive.
>
>Usually, if one can't run chkdsk from a normal boot, one must boot from
>floppies. Warp now includes a utility to create (system/boot) diskettes in
>the system setup folder. (I think it uses 4 diskettes). Kenneth Kahn (sic)
>wrote a utility to create Warp boot diskettes that's available as IBM EWS
>(employee written software). I think it only uses two diskettes. Lastly you
>can boot from the install disks and escape out to a diskette prompt. Then
>the next diskette in the install set has chkdsk and the uhpfs.dll on it (if
>memory serves).
>
>Then run chkdsk x: /f:2 or /f:3 where x: is the inaccessible partition.
>
>You answer so many OS/2 questions, I'm afraid that I may have misunderstood
>your problem, since my answer is fairly simple.
>
>Brooks

Brooks-

Apparently, the file system has errors, so I will low level format the drive
later today.  I got the files off with a utility that allows one to mount HPFS
drives under DOS.  If you would like I could send the utility later today.

So the new drive was HPFS, but the stupid Michaelangelo.stoned virus
attacked it because my OS/2 boot disks were infected, so I reformatted it
to FAT, and now will be careful about changing file systems without adequete
backups.  I don't know what exactly happened to the 250MB though, so
I don't know whether it was a virus or not.

Paul