Re: Iomega ZIP vs. JAZ

Hi!

On July 31 1997, Alden S Klovdahl wrote:

> 4.  the whole system is propriety - you can only read a Jaz drive with a Jaz
> drive.  once you get one you are locked into iomega for life.

Well - ZIP is the same; ditto also. There is no standard for these huge
data storage systems except Backup Tapes like DAT.

> be also interested in hearing of others' portable, small footprint, large
> capacity storage solutions.

For my thinkpad (it is an old 370C), I use a IC-CARD Ethernet Card (it
emulates a DE-650) and the Adaptec 1460 SlimSCSI-PCMCIA-Card. I never had
problems with this combination under Linux (the only system where you just
can put out the card or insert it without causing a system crash :-)
or WinNT.

Ciao, Hanno
--
|  Hanno Wagner  | Member of the HTML Writers Guild  | Rince@IRC      |
| pgp-fingerprint: 7D C1 01 72 75 22 01 4F  6F 08 06 49 1B 02 4A A6   |

PGP signature