Warp 4 (Merlin) on 755CD - conflict between cdrom and pcmcia

Just got round to installing Merlin on my TP755CD.

So long as the diskette drive in place, rather that the cdrom drive, the
pcmcia ethernet card is recognised and works well.

But when I reboot with the cdrom in place, the pcmcia card is disabled
with the following message during the boot sequence::
"ifconfig:ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR) no such interface"

There are no obvious clashes on irq, dma or memory allocation. ..... any
ideas as to what might be going on here ?

Gerry Prosser