Re: TP560 vs TP701

On Fri, 16 May 1997 14:57:01 -0700 (PDT), Steve Parker wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Paul Khoury wrote:
>
>> >  I bought my machine used in January and think it is just great.  The
>> >12.1" TFT screen is great.  The lame little IBM Home & Away 14.4
>> >modem/10bT Ethernet works fine in it.  If you need ethernet, plus a spare
>> >14.4 modem for $35 or so you can get them from Damark.
>> >
>> Just out of curiosity, how do you get the Home & Away adapter's network
>> portion to work in OS/2, or any other OS?  Thanks.
>
>  It supposedly works in OS/2 without modification, and to get it to work
>with Win95 you have to flash the modem code with a utility called
>hawin95.exe which sets it up for Win95 only.  It is rumored that even then
>it will only work with the first release of Win95.  I couldn't say for
>sure one way or another.
>
>  The utility is on this page..
>  http://www.networking.ibm.com/nes/nespcmci.htm
>
>  Which links you to here..
>ftp://ftp.networking.ibm.com/pub/products/lanprods/pcmcia/hawin95.exe
>
>  It works for me in Win95.  I haven't felt the need to try OS/2 on the
>notebook, though I do use Warp 3.0 WC on the desktop.  I also got another
>H&A card to work on a Sharp 3040 for a friend.  Good luck with it.  It is
>a pain, but worth it if you can get it to work..  =)
>
>Steve
Would that possibly be the reason that the took it off the market was  because it's a pain in the rear to install?
It should at least have installations based on the Windows 95 GUI, OS/2 PM, etc., instead of just DOS text
mode.  I ran it in an OS/2 Window, and little did I know that the installation used extended graphics, so I had
to close the program, and open up a full screen.  Although it's reliable (as I type, it is connected to my ISP,
because the internal one needs to be fixed by Easyserve tomorrow), I don't like the proprietary enablers, etc.
But the one think that's good about it is IT'S CHEAP.  That's why I bought it.
Regards,

Paul Khoury
pkhoury@earthlink.net