Re[2]: backup Iomega vs. ?

  Hello,

  Unfortunely I got turned off to the "toy" tape drives when our company got
  a 2120 drive. The 2000 series tapes seem to be very flimsy and easy to mess
  up.  At least with the 2120 it seemed like the tape had errors after using
  them a couple of times and formatting was a 40 minute plus ordeal.  The
  newer ones maybe better.  It just seemed like these things are slow.

  The bigger carts like the 6525 (525 megs) are better but the media cost
  is expensive.  I picked up a workhorse 8mm drive, a Exabyte 8200, and I
  had good luck with it.  The drive lacks some features like fast search, but
  I picked it up for a good price used ($175) and the media is $5 to $6.  The
  media can hold 2.3 gigs uncompressed.  Newer drives can hold more.  Another
  downside is that you need a scsi card, but at least I can backup at about
  12 megs per minute.  Another problem is alot of backup programs do not
  support 8mm stuff.

  All my active computers (including laptop) support scsi.  My 8mm drive is
  external so I can move it around and backup my three computers.

  73 Eric ecottrell@doble.