Re: 750 sound w/ wolfenstein3d

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Kendall Chenoweth wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad 750 running PC DOS 6.3 and I can play sounds from within
> Windows 3.1.  I'm not sure what sound driver I'm using there

Crystal Semiconductor.  Not sure of the model number.  Otherwise,
completely proprietary.

> I have Wolfenstein
> 3D for DOS and I would like to know how to get it to reconngize the software
> implementation of Soundblaster if possible.

The audio utility disk has a TSR which will emulate the soundblaster
in software.  It only worked for about half the programs I tried, but
Wolf3D was one of them.  It had a nasty tendency to cut out after 30
minutes or so of play, and it hung now and then.  Music (using midi)
is more robust than the sound effects (using SB).  I did not try it
under Windows - I booted straight DOS.

Unfortunately, it really slows things down.  Expect the music and
sound effects to slow down the game or themselves.  If you don't have
the audio utility disk, you can ftp it from ftp.pcco.ibm.com in
/pub/mobiles.
--
John H. Kim
jokim@mit.edu